Saturday, April 21, 2007

Day Trip - Pagsanjan Falls

It seems like Metro Manila's heat is getting worse everyday. I went to the bank during yesterday's lunch break and I felt like an ice cream melting under the sun. This morning, I wanted to sleep some more after staying out late last night with SSEAYP batchmates in Greenbelt but I just couldn't. The heat is really getting to me. I want to escape to Pagsanjan!

Pagsanjan in Laguna became famous as the locaition for some of the final scenes of Francis Ford Coppola's epic Vietnam war movie Apocalypse Now. Unfortunately, the place was notorious in the '80s for the pedophiles who went there preying on unsuspecting children. So, I thought the place would be crawling with toursist traps - exorbitant fees, persistent boatmen and pesky vendors. But when I went there with my meditation friends, not only were there no traces of its sordid "place for pedophiles" past, the trip to the Pagsanjan Falls was actually fun and highly recommended for the family. The place is only one and a half hour drive from Metro Manila. Of course, there were the ever-present hagglers along the highway trying to entice us to hire their boats. But we chose the easy and hassle-free way. We went to the Pagsanjan Garden Resort and hired the resort's boatmen. We paid 1,100 pesos per person inclusive of boat, 2 boatmen, boatmen tips and entrance fee.

The highlight of the trip for me was not the waterfalls but the bumpy ride going there. Two bangkeros or boatmen paddled each a canoe with 2 -3 passengers against the river's currents, through a gorge with lush vegetation. At some point, the boatmen had to carry the canoe because it was impossible to paddle through jagged rocks. The Magdapio waterfalls, popularly known as Pagsanjan Falls beckoned to us after a 1 1/2 hour boat ride.
For 90 pesos per head, the boatmen took us under the waterfalls on a bamboo raft. Be prepared for an intense hydro-massage! It was such an adrenaline rush. My Indian friends got addicted so we went under the falls three times and felt like we had the best massage in our lives :). To recuperate from that hydro-message, we went behind the waterfalls and just chilled out in what seemed like a cave. We would've wanted to swim the lenghth of the waterfalls but the currents were actually too strong and so I chickened out. Maybe next time.


Tips when visiting Pagsanjan Falls:
1. Bring plastic bags for cameras and other valuable or better yet, buy an aquapack
2. Wear aqua sandals or mojos - the rocks at the cave behind the falls are sharp
3. Wear lots of suncreen
4. And wear additional mexican hat (never mind if you look silly)
5. Ignore the ridiculous Korean tourists who visit there with full make-up and high heels!
6. Feed your boatmen or at least buy them Coke and bread when you reach the falls after the 1 1/2 hour tiring boatride
7. Take photos along the way, during the scenic boat ride. I was too scared to get the camera wet that's why I don't have any photos to share.
8. And yes, enjoy!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed my trip to this place in 2004. I am glad someone's written about it. :)

- Ramy

leysonnet said...

Hi ramy! thanks for visiting my blog :) hope u can visit phils again!

Suhas said...

Hey,

Well i really like your and this is the second comment i am posting in ten mins.. Is there any way to reach this place by public transport. I have only a couple of weeks left in Manila before i head back to India. Thanks

Anonymous said...

Pagsanjan Falls truly is a great experience/adventure.

Too bad the pesky flaggers and boatmen's request for large tips are a nuisance. They'll be driving away tourists with their behavior.