Thursday, April 19, 2007

My Top Summer Getaways - Part 2

I feel lucky for having visited the places in my previous post. The Philippines is truly beautiful with a lot to offer to the discriminating tourist. When I was in Palawan with The Boy, my heart just swelled with Pinoy pride seeing El Nido's wonders and the Underground River's secrets. This is only the tip of the country's natural wonder. There is much to explore and experience. Here are the rest of my favorite Summer Getaways. I will just reminisce and daydream of lazing around the beach while sipping my green mango shake, and waiting for spectacular sunsets since I am stuck here melting in Metro Manila's heat.

4. Camiguin Island – Thanks to Cebu Pacific's P10 promo, I was able to visit Camiguin last year via Cagayan de Oro on a shoestring. Camiguin has a mix of everything for the adventurer – volcanic hot springs (Ardent Hot Springs – I just wanted to soak in the warm pools the whole night!), cold springs (Sto. Nino Cold Springs), waterfalls (Katibawasan Falls), volcano (Mt. Hibok-hibok) and of course a White Beach which is actually sandbar of fine white sand.

5. Cagayan de Oro – I didn't have time to explore Cagayan de Oro but the time spent in this city was one adventure after another. In Cagayan de Oro's Macahambus Adventure Park, I walked through the hanging bridge, tried the exhilarating zip line but balked at rappelling the giant tree (also because I had to pay an additional 300 pesos J). I capped my stay with its main attraction – the White Water River Rafting along the Cagayan river. It was one big adrenaline rush and worth steep 1,100 pesos per head fee (discounted rate - inclusive of gear and lunch).

6. White Beach, Puerto Galera – I went there a few years ago and the crowd was still tolerable. The snorkeling was better than in Boracay and everything was just cheaper. The island hopping was also memorable (maybe because I was with friends) plus the cheap massage (200 pesos/hour) by the beach. White Beach in Puerto Galera is for those looking for a quick beach fix on a tight budget.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Theres a great deal to explore in the Phillipines... The natural beauty is fantastic.....love the pictures posted on the website....

leysonnet said...

Thanks ameya for visiting my blog! The Philippines is really beautiful so do visit my blog regularly and see more of what my country has to offer. Who knows you might be on the next plane to the Philippines? :D